Friday 10 January 2014

Author Lowdown with Marian Tee

Image of Marian Tee

Who is your favourite author? 
I have a lot, but I think it would be fun right now to state my favourite billionaire romance authors and that would be Lynne Graham, Sharon Kendrick, and Lucy Monroe, who are all Harlequin authors. I think no one can beat them when it comes to writing smouldering hot European billionaires!


Are there any new authors that have grabbed your interest? 
I’d have to say Pepper Winters, who writes really dark romances (think human trafficking victim falls for ... what? The guy who bought her? And he’s a human trafficker? For real? But OMG he’s so gorgeous and hot and wealthy, but...human trafficker, really?). Anyway, it’s something I know I can never write (I’m just not built that way, as my readers would know), and that’s probably why I enjoyed her book so much.

Which character was the hardest to write and why?
In The Art of Catching a Greek Billionaire, I’d have to say the one hardest to write was Mairi because I really wanted readers to understand how she genuinely thinks there’s nothing wrong about wanting to marry a billionaire – who also had to be Greek and hot. I know, I know. Makes her sound like a gold digger, but she’s not. I promise! 

Why did you choose to write romance?
It’s what I grew up writing. Although, I have to admit – for a time, I was focused on writing just horror (the kind that did not have romance in it) based on a really popular literary agent’s advice.

What kind of romance is your favourite style to write?
I’d have to say … paranormal romantic comedy. So many things can happen in this sub-genre! I also wish I could write historical romance, but unfortunately no – not yet.

If you weren’t an author, what would you be? 
A web content provider? That was my previous job, but then that has something to do with writing, too, so maybe that’s cheating. I guess, if I need to have a non-writing job, it would most likely be either a translator or a hotel receptionist since I like learning languages.

What would be your dream job? 
A flight attendant! Mainly because I’d love to travel for free. =D

Do you have any rituals/habits when you write? 
I have a routine, but as for rituals or habits...I guess I’m very picky when it comes to my fonts? I won’t be able to write effectively until I’ve found the best font to represent the story.

What would be the weirdest one? 
In rare instances, I’d name my characters after the real-life individuals they were derived from. When I’m done with the story, I change their names.

Your house is burning and you have to grab five things - what would you grab? 
Laptop, iPad, my bag (which always has my phone and stuff), my Blessed Virgin statue (yeeeeaaah, I’m kinda big on faith), and my glasses / contacts (whichever one I’m not wearing) because I’ve got really poor vision. Aaaand I just realized I forgot to grab something (anything!) to protect me from the fire! =P Ah, well, that’s a writer for you.

What would you allow to burn then tell no one about? (eg. Tiny Tim LP, 80’s style clothing etc) Umm … I’m so embarrassed about it that I’d really rather not say! 

What is on your current and upcoming release schedule?
My latest boxed sets include Seduction in the Sun (From New Adult to Scorching Romances featuring Billionaires, Bad Boys, and Sheikhs) and Tangled:New Adult Romance (12-Book Bundle with Pro Athletes, Billionaires, Bad Boys, Crown Princes, and Street Fighters).
My upcoming schedule includes the third book in my Greek Billionaire Romance serials, The Art of Loving a Greek Billionaire.

Where are your books available for purchase?
All my books are available on Amazon, but you’ll see a number of them available on Barnes & Noble, Kobo, AllRomance, Google Play, and Apple’s iBookstore.

How does it feel to be a part of the many box set collections you’ve been included in lately?
Amazing and humbling since I’m still very much one of the newbie writers so I get to learn a lot from them. Honestly, I get star struck every time I get to talk authors whose books I used to buy in bookstores and devoured when I was a teenager.

What kind of friendships (if any) arise from these collaborations?
Thankfully, not the competitive kind! Instead, you get to enjoy a productive, healthy, and fun friendship with other authors – the kind where you can expect good advice (if you care to ask) and support and encouragement when you’re feeling down!

Thanks for this Amanda! I really appreciate your support! You're awesome!



***In addition to this Lowdown, there is a competition for the Seduction in the Sun boxed set***

No comments:

Post a Comment