Friday 10 January 2014

Author Lowdown with Toni Anderson


Who is your favourite author?
Right now that’s a toss up between Cindy Gerard and Laura Griffin.

Are there any new authors that have grabbed your interest?
I really enjoyed Samantha Young’s On Dublin Street. I’m not sure she’s new, but she was new to me :)

Which character was the hardest to write and why?
This is a tough question. I write a lot of characters with complex and tortured backstories. I have one hero (Daniel Fox in Edge of Survival) who is in PTSD meltdown while holding down the difficult job of being a helicopter pilot. He was tough to write and still make convincing as a hero. The hero of my book Dark Waters (Brent Carver) spent 20 years in prison for killing his father. That was tricky. But I think the hardest character to write was actually my Russian terrorist in The Killing Game. He’s a man who circumstances turned against. He could have been a fantastic hero with just a twist of fate. I think it threw a nice light on the shadows. Things are never as black and white as we want to believe.

Why did you choose to write romance?
Romance is what I love to read. Perhaps if I’d started writing in my early twenties I’d have written Sci Fi or Fantasy (because that’s what I read back then). But I always crave a little romance in any story I read. I need the Happy Ending. I despise reading a book and then getting to the end where one of the main characters (in love) dies. No! I understand it can deliver a powerful message but I don’t want that from the books I read for entertainment. There’s enough suckage in the world, thank you very much.

What kind of romance is your favourite style to write?
Romantic Suspense/Mystery/Thrillers. Basically I like adding the spice of danger to my relationships :)

If you weren’t an author, what would you have ended up doing?
Research Scientist or (God help me) University Prof.

Do you have any rituals/habits when you write?
I create music playlists and character profiles before I start a story. Nothing too weird and wonderful. I sit at the desk and I write until I have 2500 new words each day. Sometimes that can be a couple of hours. Sometimes that’s not until 10 pm at night. I generally use the weekends to read over and edit. My office is kind of open-plan so when the family is home it gets noisy. Probably just as well else I’d never see anyone.

What would be the weirdest one?
I have a favourite tea mug I use when I’m writing fresh words.

Your house is burning and you have to grab five things - what would you grab?
(Assuming Hubs and kids are safe) I’d grab the dog, the geckos, a jacket and boots (if it’s winter else I’d die from exposure :)) and my laptop. I know pictures etc are important too but I have copies of most things. I should probably grab my wallet and passports and, and, and ... :)

What would you let burn then tell no one about? (eg. Tiny Tim LP, 80’s style clothing etc).
My artwork from years ago :)

What is on your current and upcoming release schedule?
I have a new book released on December 23rd, 2013. Her Last Chance features Marsh and Josie’s story and follows on from Her Sanctuary where they appear as secondary characters.

Where are you books available?

This book will be available at Barnes & Noble and Apple etc, but it takes time to filter through.
All my books are listed on my website and people can sign up for my mailing list to receive up to date information and special offers.

  
Thanks for having me!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment