Friday 18 April 2014

AUTHOR LOWDOWN with Christi Williams



You can take 5 items/men to a fully catered desert island – what/who would you take?     J
Book boyfriends are the best and emotional arousal is in your head! So I would choose all my reading/writing implements, which these days are largely electronic.

Who is your favourite author?
I don’t have a fave author. I read a lot, but not all romance. I have lots of fave works, but they’re by all different authors in all different genres. 

How did you start your writing career?
I didn’t go to college when I was young, and the thought of being a writer didn’t occur to me until I was almost 40 years old and a non-traditional student. As with a lot of authors, I was reading a novel and thought, “I can do that". I started in short stories, fantasy and science fiction, and wrote one fantasy novel and a historical novel.

Which character was the hardest to write and why? 
Perris Dalton of Perilous Promises was the hardest for me. I have several members of my family who have had or died of breast cancer. I have never had cancer myself, and so I had to work hard to connect with Perris and the feelings she experienced: anger, denial, terror, and finally a brittle strength that she would never be beaten down by her disease. Readers, especially those with no familiarity with cancer, seem to have a very tough time connecting with Perris. They think of her as a spoiled brat and don’t recognize the fear hiding behind her tough girl persona. But, you know, writing a book is a two-part proposition. A written, edited, formatted and published book isn’t quite finished until someone reads it. Then, if they don’t “get” it, it’s too late for the author to revise it so they will get it. It’s a failure on the author’s part, hopefully one she will take a lesson from for the next one.

Why did you choose to write romance?
After I wrote the first two novels I joined a writer’s group. At first we were writers of many things including non-fiction and poetry. But as people moved away or moved on from a dream of a writing career, we were three romance writers plus myself. I started writing romance in self defense. All I was critiquing was romance, and I thought I would get better feedback if I wrote romance, since I didn’t read much in that genre and didn’t know much about it—I read Nora Roberts, LaVyrle Spencer, and Sandra Brown but that was about the extent of my familiarity with romance.

If you weren’t an author, what would you have ended up doing?
Authors are lots of things before, during, and after their careers as writers. I took any job that would pay me enough to stay alive, and when that didn’t happen, sometimes two or three jobs at a time. I was also a mother of teenagers at that time.

Do you have any rituals/habits when you write? 
I don’t!

If you write under an alias/Nome de plume, how does it feel to have emails etc. addressed to your other name? 
I write under two different pseudonyms, and then there is the name I was given at birth. One alias writes sexy romance and the other writes sweet historical fiction. Sometimes I find myself re-tweeting some blazing erotic romance writers’ messages under the sweet historical persona. When I come to my senses, I can only say, “Oops, I did it again.”

What is on your current and upcoming release schedule? 
I have a third novel and a second novella in the Hawk Point romances finished. But I haven’t submitted them yet, and there’s nothing scheduled for publication at the moment.

Where are your books available?
Clay’s Quest (novella): Whiskey Creek PressKindleSmashwordsNook
Perilous Promises (novel): Whiskey Creek PressKindleNook
Take a Chance on Love (novel): Whiskey Creek PressKindleNook
“To the One I Never Forgot” (short story): SmashwordsKindleNook

Stalker Links
Website: Christi Williams

Twitter: @WriterChristi 



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for asking me questions and letting me answer them on your blog! Christi Williams

    ReplyDelete