Sunday 1 June 2014

KINKY LOWDOWN with Lexi Blake



You can take 5 items/men/women to a fully catered desert island – what/who would you take?  J
The Hemsworth brothers, sunscreen, my Kindle because eventually I’ll take a break from the Hemsworth brothers, a pair of really great shoes and a camera – to prove I was with the Hemsworth brothers…

What’s the weirdest thing a fan (or stalker!) has ever asked you?
I get asked inappropriate things all the time! I’m constantly asked about the lifestyle and whether or not I’ve done all the things in my books. I often wonder if anyone asks Nora Roberts if she regularly murders people since it happens in her books. 
~LOL~Amanda~

Most inappropriate thing you’ve done in public? If it was illegal, did you get caught? J
Tried on a corset. They were gorgeous and I really wanted one, but I had to try it on to make sure it would fit. So yeah, I stripped down in public. Probably illegal, but no one seemed to mind. Except my husband…

Do you have a favourite author(s)? Who is it/are they?
I have several. I read a lot of paranormal and I love Larissa Ione and Kresley Cole. For erotic romance my faves are Shayla Black and Cherise Sinclair and Lorelei James. I also love thrillers like Steve Berry’s and Preston and Child.

How did you start your writing career?
I started writing really young. I was writing fan fiction when there wasn’t a name for it. My publishing career started late though. I had written plays and comic books and after I had kids I started writing romance novels. I’d written nine full books before I decided to really give publishing a try. I took my first pen name – Sophie Oak – and sent in Small Town Siren. 

Which character was the hardest to write and why? 
I don’t know that I have one on the Lexi Blake side who has really given me too much trouble. I would say Damon Knight from Dungeon Royale was far more shut down than I expected. And Ian Taggart once he got his own book was far more open than I planned. Sometimes they don’t turn out the way I expected them to.

Who’s your favourite character? And what would let him/her do to you in the Dungeon?
I have a couple who are super fun to write. I love the byplay between Ian and Adam. They’re wretchedly sarcastic and don’t pull punches. Ian is my big bad Dom. His sister-in-law likes to call him Satan, but also admits he’s a surprisingly gossipy demon. Who wouldn’t love that? As for what he can do to me in a dungeon – anything he likes.

If you write under an alias/Nome de plume, how do you deal with being addressed by that name?
You get used to it. I answer to all names now. But I keep my real name for my close friends. It’s how I know I’m in a safe place – when I hear my name. It’s actually funny because I always hated my real name and now I love to hear it.

What made you decide to pick an alias?
My real name is a little boring and doesn’t sound very erotic author like. Also I thought it would be a good idea to maintain some anonymity for my kids’ sake.

What was it about kink that made you choose the genre?
I love the lifestyle. Unashamedly. BDSM and kinksters have taught me more about accepting myself than I could have imagined. It’s a very open and accepting and tolerant place to be.

What extent do you go to, to research for what you write?
I’ve tried most of what I write about. I think I’m much better at translating the experience than I am at simply imagining it. If you’ve never been around a violet wand, you might not understand the sound of it crackling against flesh or the smell of ozone that accompanies it. If you’ve never been flogged, you might not understand the real difference between a sting and a thud.

Do you have a favourite item to write about? (or use? J)
I love to write about floggers. I find them fascinating and they run the gamut of sensations – from light massage to real holy crap balls pain.

Dom or sub?       
Oh, I’m a total sub.

Leather or Lace?
Lace is strangely itchy. I’ll go with leather.

Silk or hemp?
I like silk though I know a lot of people think it’s overrated. I like the way it feels.

If you weren’t an author, what would you have ended up doing?
No idea. I was a stay at home mom before I was published. I have a degree in English but I never wanted to do anything but write.

Do you have any rituals/habits when you write?
I like to sprint. I tend to write in fifteen-minute segments and then I get up and stretch and do laundry and then start again. I keep a little notepad by the computer to show my goals and how close I am to achieving them.

What would be the weirdest one?
When I’m listening to the radio, the volume can’t be a prime number. How’s that for weird? I prefer the volume to be on an even number.

Is there anything on your current/upcoming release schedule?
A View to A Thrill is coming out on August 18th. I’ll have another Masters and Mercenaries novella - Cherished out sometime in the fall. My UF series wraps up with Steal the Night on June 3rd but the second series starts in January of 2015.

Where are your books available?
All the major retailers – Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iTunes, Smashwords.

Stalker Links
Facebook          Twitter - @authorlexiblake          Pinterest          Website



No comments:

Post a Comment