Friday 7 March 2014

AUTHOR LOWDOWN with Jennifer Ryder



Aliens are loading humans onto their ships to populate a new galaxy; you have two hours before they get to you. What do you do in those two hours?!
Make sure my kids are safe, give them the biggest ice-cream I can find, and while they’re busy, I’d shag the hell out of my husband. Can I say that? Then we’d re-group as a family, load the shotguns and give those alien f**kers one hell of a fight!

Who is your favourite author?
So tricky! I have so many favourites, but I have to say Belle Aurora. I adore her writing style, and her stories and characters are so original. She also knows how to make a girl cry! I can’t recommend her work enough. RAW will be one of my all-time favourites.

How did you start your writing career?
I started about eighteen months ago. I’d always been a big reader, but never thought I would write. Inspiration struck, and I couldn’t stop once I started putting the words down. ‘Spark’ became an obsession, festering inside, characters taunting me in my sleep, until I got it out!

Which character was the hardest to write and why? 
Eevie, my female lead was the hardest. In many ways she is like me, and I found that quite a challenge.

Why did you choose to write romance?
It’s my favourite genre, but Eevie’s journey to find love was one I had to write, so it was always going to be romance.

If you weren’t an author, what would you have ended up doing?
I still work full time, and have a beautiful family, so I guess I would have kept plodding along with that, and reading myself silly. There are so many wonderful books out there!

Do you have any rituals/habits when you write?
Writing can be a lonely business, so I don’t know if the way I write is different to most people. I am happy to share with you something I find helpful. When doing the final edit, I find it easier to print out the MS. I grab a couple of different highlighters, and assign a colour to each character. I highlight each character’s dialogue and review one by one. It just makes sure that the way they speak is consistent, and not too similar to other characters. It also means I can give each character a few turns of phrase that only they use.

What would be the weirdest one?
I’m sure I’m not the only one, but when I’m trying to describe character’s reactions (i.e. mouth curling up at the side, brows bunching up) I tend to make these faces myself, to see if they fit the scene/dialogue. My kids think I’m a loon sometimes.

Oh, and sometimes to get the bedroom choreography right, I have to ‘practice’. Or as I also like to call it, ‘research’. There’s a lot to consider to write a good sex scene - pacing, choreography (whose arm and leg goes where). It’s not as easy as it looks!


If you write under an alias/Nome de plume, how does it feel to have emails etc. addressed to your other name?
Funnily, I’m used to it now, although it took a bit of getting used to. I felt like a fake at first! I must admit though, I love my Jennifer Ryder signature. Much more interesting that my usual signature!

What is on your current and upcoming release schedule?
The second book in the Spark series, Spike, will come out in May. The third book in the series, Strike, likely in August. I am also working on an erotic novella, Blackmail by any other name, which will come out later in 2014. Here is the link on Goodreads if you want to check out the blurb. 

Where are your books available?
Amazon AU          Amazon US          Amazon UK          Kobo          Createspace (paperback)

Where can people stalk you?

Twitter - @jenniferryder01          Facebook          Pinterest



No comments:

Post a Comment